France

UK
THE VILLAGE

Panoramique

 

Situated to the limit of the department of the Aude and the Haute-Garonne, the borough is nested in the valley where the " Fresquel " takes its source.


AGENDA


Distance : Baraigne is at 50 km from Toulouse and Carcassonne, 12 km from Castelnaudary, 7 km from Salles/l'Hers and 5 km d'Avignonet.
Canton : Salles/l'Hers.
District : Carcassonne.
Post : Castelnaudary.
Postal Code : 11410 BARAIGNE
National Code : 11026
Population : 146.
Area : 476 hectares.
Altitude : 243 meters.
Local Festival : Beginning June.


DESCRIPTION

Agrandir (175 Kb)
Type éclésial

The village of Baraigne, of ecclesiastic type, was born of its cult place.

To the origin the habitat was grouped around the church, under a circular shape.
Carte des souterrains
Souterrain du village
Sortie tunnel

Layout supposed of the undergrounds

Exit of the village underground

Exit of the Fissovent underground

Thereafter, the locality developed to the North and the west of this initial perimeter. Today, this regular structure disappeared and no vestige reveals if it was endowed of a defensive organization. Only subsists to the north, the exit of an underground permitting to evacuate the village. In cellars of the castle one can to see also a start ruined of underground toward Caillavel, its exit is always visible to some distances of the farm of Fissovent.
In 1980 a municipal subdivision extended the perimeter of the village to the east, followed by a second under construction.


CROSSES

To implore the fate of the glacial period of the end of the XVIIIth a cross is erected to the center of the place of the Plô. Dated of 1780 this wrought-iron cross is the work of the Cazala Master of Ricaud.
This last, decorated of large hooked leaves, presents extremities in the shape of flower of lily and also raise the Christ's heart, the spear and the sponge holder.
It has been displaced recently to the exit South of the village.

In 1873 a second wrought-iron cross is installed to the north gate of the village to the demand of a religious mission. It is the work of the shops St Elois of Toulouse.




THE WINDMILL

At 1 kilometer to the North - East of thevillage, stand up a windmill.
At some dozen meters south of it, was another windmill where the millers were brutally murdered in 1802. Dragging hardly a bad reputation as a result of this package and more or less abandoned, it finally collapsed to be replaced in 1830 by the current windmill.
Moulin 1970 Moulin 2010
The windmill in 1970
The windmill today
The mill was bought in 1873 by Michel Micouleau, died at Baraigne in 1907 at the age of 70.
Guillaume Micouleau after marrying the milling of Belflou, took after his father. He practiced his profession until his death in 1944. During the War of 1939 to 1945 when the ban was imposed by grinding the occupation authorities, he never stopped his windmill, continued during this period to make stash of wheat flour and corn with grain contributed by the villagers. Jean Micouleau succeeded him until the final judgment of the windmill in 1954. With his death in 1983 disappeared one of the latest wind millers in the region.

The building has some unusual features in Lauragais two work areas and very rare, this windmill has three pairs of millstones. The main wheel is on the ground floor, the other two in the room on the first floor, which is accessed by a small outer scale milling nine steps.
The windmill is operated by only two wings, which proves the strength of the winds in this part of Lauragais.
The turning of the roof rack is performed by operating a crank on the first floor. This windmill is equipped with a smart alarm system, when the weight of the grain became insufficient in the hopper, a stick attached went back and freed a bell that would hit the rotating axis of the wheel. Depending on the length of the string, the bell rang when he remained in the hopper 10 to 30 liters of grain.
Despite the collapse of the roof that reveals the large wheel and a wing struck down, the equipment of the windmill is pretty near full.

 
The windmill and milling scale
The main wheel, lifting to be redressed. It is taken in the "loop" and raised by the "boom" that occupies the foreground. This wheel is in Flint and is 1.70 m in diameter, 0.32 m thick and has 24 spokes.
Moulin agneaux

In addition, a linseed oil mill, already destroyed at the beginning of the century, was in the village. And two mills pastel one of the wheels is always visible on the village square.

Vieux moulin Meule
Remains dependencies of the old mill

Wheel of a mill pastel Place Plô


FARMS
Borde-Basse
Bordeneuve
Cantareuil
Encallet
Encoumet
Fissavent
Malbirade
Le Moulin
Saint-Jean


Edition : © SD 2013 with Dreamweaver CS6