France

UK
Ste MARIE DE BARAIGNE' CHURCH

  Introduction
The Apse
The Nave
The Portal
The Belfry
Listen to the Chime

INTRODUCTION

The small sanctuary which is one of the finest examples of Romanesque churches of the Aude, rises south of town after being the center. It is a historical monument since 1908.
The oldest documents mentioning, date from 1207. (1) Chapter Alet there once perceived the "Decimal fruit" (church tax).
In 1317, when Pope Jean XXII erected the Abbey of Saint-Papoul in bishopric, depending on the Archbishop of Toulouse, Baraigne was placed in the new diocese of St. Papoul and remained there until the Revolution.
St. Mary Baraigne is one of the few Romanesque churches still standing in our department.
Beautifully preserved, carefully restored, it offers the archaeologist a really interesting subject of study.
We do not know the date of its foundation. Tradition says it was the work of a Lord of the de Buisson family. It is impossible. The monument is clearly twelfth century and at that time, the de Buisson family had not yet arrived in the country.

Interior dimensions:

Total length : 17m 29
Width in the work: 5m 10
Length of the nave: 8m 85
Width: 5m 10
Depth of the apse: 5m 44
Length of two chapels: 3m
Depth: 2m 50
Thickness of the walls : 1m

Eglise et château Face Est


THE APSE

The building, entirely Romanic, is oriented east to west. It consists of an apse and a nave flanked by two chapels. These materializing the transept are additions of the nineteenth century. The apse, in a cul-de-four, is illuminated by three semicircular windows, flared inward. Four columns engaged in backsplashes and topped with capitals decorated with foliage, the bottom segment of the apse. A series of five arches share doubleaux and falls successively on four backsplashes. The columns are clearly in front and do not support anything.

Eglise coeur Feuillage


THE NAVE

The nave barrel-vaulted, is flanked on each side by a vaulted chapel in the same way. Each chapel is updated by a semicircular window. Part of the nave chapels corresponding to a limited form of two transverse arches span. The first divides the nave into two unequal spans, the other between the nave and the apse is the triumphal arch. These arcs, based on engaged columns with circular bases. Only the capitals, although Romanics, does not seem to have the same age. Those of the simple nave seem older, they are decorated with lanceolate leaves and spiral designs a very archaic appearance. The two capitals of the triumphal arch are decorated with more complicated broadleaf.
The nave is lighted only by a large window breakthrough in the back wall and is formed of two long semicircular openings surmounted by an oculus. Below this window, there is a small door, now blocked.

Nef Portail


THE PORTAL
OUTSIDE THE APSE

The portal of the church opens in the South partition , located 3m 40 from the back wall , it is 1m 45 wide. This is a full-arch surmounted by an arch which archivolte is decorated animals, heads and chess board drawings. This arc falls on two columns with capitals decorated with simple leaves. The base of the left column has two heads.
Despite its simplicity, this door is very beautiful.
Externally, we see the apse, which is the most interesting part. It is decorated, below the cornice, a series of small arches that fall on one side on the counter and the other on a raven. There are three different carved corbels on the South you see a barrel, east head of King, North lamb. "Ba-Roi Gne". Is the ancestor of anagram? ... More likely a protective tribute to vines, men, sheep that inhabited the region.

BA_ROI_GNE



ROOF-CHAPEL-BELFRY

The roof was raised to isolate the structure of the upper surface of the roof. This change had for result to mask a circular gutter, leading the waters of the apse to two small gargoyles placed between the buttresses of the nave.
Chapels they existed in the original plan? A document dating from 1725 years seems to indicate that there was at least one.
Anyway, they were completely demolished long ago, when the restored church. They are not on the plan drawn Dussan to 1866.
A bell arcades overcomes the wall. Originally rectangular in shape, it became triangular, with additions collapsed on the sides and perhaps the crowning. (see photo)(5)


Evolution du clocher


CHIME
In 1995 a third bell was installed at the top.
Blessed on 6 March 1995, "Marie" complete the electrified carillon.

See Report
Listen to the Chime
La nouvelle cloche Clocher et tour du château

Beside the church is the old cemetery where we still notice some old cross-shaped discs. One of them, more curious than others, has been housed in the church at the beginning of the century through the efforts of the parish priest of Baraigne. (4)

See Steles of Baraigne.
L'Eglise et le vieux cimetiére
Ph. Ed.Zodiaque


Addenda

(1) Doat, t. 83 f. 41 and 15 f. 295. Collection of documents concerning the Cistercian Boulbonne the diocese of Mirepoix.
(2) We found the archives of the Aude, a report of the visit of Baraigne in 1725 by the Bishop of Saint-Papoul, we believe it is useful to translate key passages, because they give us the exact state of the church:
"Today, twenty-first of October, one thousand seven hundred and twenty five years, we Jean Charles de Segur, and Lord Bishop of St. Papoul ... The tabernacle is in good condition, and there is a ciborium a rising sun which is not golden.'s tour which covers the altar is about to fall ... the choir of the church is vaulted, one third of the nave towards the choir is vaulted the rest is not vaulted or paneled and the roof needs repair. ago in the depths of the Church a kind of platform which is very indecent and on the verge of collapse. nave is not paved. It is a chapel of St. Anthony on the side of the Gospel in very poor condition, without sacred stone, no crucifix, no step. There are point sacristy ...
The entrance to the cemetery is neither closed nor grilled ... ". (Arch. Aude, G. 267, No. 5).
Another minutes of visit by Daniel Bertrand de Langle (11 October 1741), tells us that the tower is not finished, but there are two bells. The church is still in poor condition (Arch. Aude G.267, No. 14).
The minutes of a visit made ​​October 16, 1775 by Guillaume Joseph Abzac de Mayac says that everything is pretty much in good condition. (Arch Aude, G. 267, No. 15).
(3) Dussan Church Baraigne archaeologists in Review. the south of France, 1866-1867, part 1, p. 138-140.
(4) Dr. Charles Boyer - Archaeological Tour in the Trap - Baraigne 1933.
(5) Assumption based on the architecture of the churches of the region in the same time.


Edition : © SD 2013 with Dreamweaver CS6