castle of Baraigne is built on a small eminence dominating the village,
to 300m to the west of the borough.
Sequenced historic monument since 1948, its building is assigned to
Barthélémy de Buisson(1568-1622) Lord of Baraigne.
Some parts are older but don't appear to go back up farther than the
Begun in 1975 and finished today, one owes to the present owner a deep
and perfect restoration whereas the building was nearly ruined.
The primitive plan has been modified, as well as testifies some northwards
of the very clean traces of enlarging. The door that was first in the
middle of the oriental facade, has been rejected on the left. (1)
The monument, Renaissance, delimits a vast quadrilateral,
flanked of three towers of angle and affluent of an interior court.
The whole was grasped by moats.
To the East the door of entry, in full hanger, opens up in the surrounding
wall. It presents two long grooves that constitute remainders of a drawbridge
again. This access is defended by a powerful bartizan, supported by
The defensive work is pierced of doorways that had to be used for the
shootings of musketeers. On all sides ran of the door, side court, a
path of round whose only vestiges are materialized by four gunboats.
The two towers of south angle, of circular shape, are protected by some
gunboats. These, distributed on two floors, are outside oblong, and
circular inside. This type of doorway is characteristic of the end of
the XVIe century. One discovers, besides, of small doorways to musket,
in bottom parts of towers.
The angle northwest is flanked of a square tower, of irregular plan.
south facade presents remainders of a machicolation. The north facade
includes, besides bays very revised, a small ledge, on its superior
part. The west facade understands a window to mullions crusaders and
a small bowout.
Finally, an octagonal staircase tower has been treated tactfully to
the angle northeast of the interior court.
The doorway of the acces door to this style neo - Greek tower is quite
remarkable and also characteristic of the time Renaissance.
It is certainly there the part most interesting of the castle. (2)
By this door one reached the north part of the building completely today
restored. One can discover kitchens there, but especially the room of
Flanked to the north of a majestic chimney this immense room to the
magnificent wooded ceiling is constructed on nine " crozes "
carved in the rock. These ovoid cisterns of about two meters of diameter
were destined to preserve the owner's harvests.
Visits are foreseen the summer. One can inquire there. (Private
castle belongs today to the family Le Garsmeur that bought the property
in 1974 to Mr. Dulac. Himself held it by inheritance of Miss de Lavalette, his aunt by marriage.
the property belonged once to the family de Buisson continued by the
one de Roquette-Buisson. This family illustrates gave lords Baraigne, for nearly four centuries and its slightly modified weapons have become the armoiries
The family de Buisson, probably original of the Alleuze castle, near Saint - Flour (1), appears in the region of the Lauraguais at the end of the 14th century.
Pierre de Buisson, Lord of Vaureilles, coseigneur of Auben, wife, the 2 of February 1399 noneses, Claire Mancip, daughter of Bernard, Lord of Beauteville, Cailhavel, etc., and of Vassalède of Lauzière.
Did the Mancips possess at this time it of Baraigne? It is very likely, but nothing permits us to certify it. Jean, his son, that lived between years 1456 and 1470, is not non signalled like Lord of Baraigne. It is necessary to arrive to the descendant of this last, to find indicated the possession of Baraigne distinctly by the family de Buisson.
Jean de Buisson is designated like Lord of Beauteville, Miramont, Beaumont, Baraigne, Ausonne, the Plégat, Ichaussas, Baziège and Montmaur. He is capitoul of Toulouse in 1483 and 1484 and 1492 to 1490.
Gotten married had 1480, to Catherine of Remainders, he tested, September 28, 1515 and was buried in the church of the Cordelierses of Toulouse. The funerary stone that regained this monument is to the Museum of Toulouse. He had two sons and a daughter. His son Hugues, is the author of the Baragne-Beauvoir branch, who has been substituted in the Roquette-Buisson family
DE BARAGNE OU DE BEAUVOIR
Hugues de Buisson rider, Lord of Montmaur, Baragne, Cailhavel, Boussenac, Peyre of Naurouze and Airoux, married February 9, 1508, Anne of Lauret, daughter of the first president Bernard of Lauret and Isabeau of Saint - Felix. He counted his fiefs in 1517, was capitoul in 1523, bought an earth to Cailhavel to the queen Marguerite of are Worth, March 2, 1524, and tested July 29, 1528, letting the inheritance to his son Jean.
Jean de Buisson, Lord of Baragne, Cailhavel and Boussenac, captain in the king's armies, returned homage for the high, middle and low justice of his three lordships, to Catherine of Médicis, in 1550 and 1551 (3). He married September 13, 1551, Peyroune of Pities, daughter of noble Michel, Lord of Ferriol and noble Françoise of Narbonne. He passed act of sharing with his brothers Jacques and Etienne, April 2, 1547 and tested July 29, 1568, letting the inheritance to his son Barthélémy.
Barthélémy de Buisson, Lord of Baragne, Cailhavel and Boussenac, received recognitions of Baragne, April 14, 1613, married June 1°, 1613, Jeanne of Noah, daughter of Roger de Noah, knight of the order of the King and Françoise of Odet, baroness of Benque. He tested July 17, 1622, letting the lordship to his son Pierre.
Pierre de Buisson, Lord of Cailhavel, married in 1617, Jeanne de Antiquamérata. He tested September 15, 1617 and to his death let two children who died young. Due to this death, Jeanne de Buisson, his sister, bride to François de Roquette Lord of Magrens, collected the inheritance. She had to make the first male that would be born carry the name and weapons of the Buisson house.
François de Roquette, Lord of Magrens, been born January 18, 1601, received knight of Malta in 1618, served to armies. He took bet to the seat of Saint - Jean of Angély, was wounded there, retired of the service and married October 22, 1623, Jeanne of Bush. He tested November 4, 1636 and his wife March 12, 1662. He let, as successor, his son Antoine.
Antoine de Roquette-Buisson, Lord of Magrens, Baraigne, Cailhavel, Boussenac, been born December 4, 1632, served the king in the second company of Musketeers, of 1660 to 1662. He returned homage April 6, 1666, counted his possessions December 21, 1667 and tested June 26, 1694, letting his possessions to Bernard and the succession to Louis.
Louis de Roquette-Buisson, baptized October 25, 1668, Lord of Magrens, Cailhavel, Boussenac, Baraigne, first lieutenant to the regiment of Normandy, then wounded to Phalsbourg in 1668, captain to the Royal Vessel regiment, followed the king in his wars of Germany. Being in residence to the Rock (Luxemburg), he married, October 28, 1689, Pétronille de Odeignie, daughter of the Lord de Waillimont and Gérardisle. Wounded dangerously to the seat of Chivas in 1705, he went in France and passed the post - bridal acts of his marriage contract May 27, 1707. He shared with his brothers, October 3, 1701. He lived again in 1725. His eldest son followed to him.
Bernard, tells the count de Roquette-Buisson, Lord of Baragne, Cailhavel, Boussenac, Magrens, Labruguière, remained on his earths; he married April 29, 1725, Bernarde de Roquette, been born June 14, 1705, lady of Labruguière and Arse; he returned homage to the king the l - June 1758, had many suit and didn't leave his country. He had for successor his son Jean Louis - Joseph.
Jean Louis-Joseph, said the marquis de Roquette-Buisson, Lord of Baragne, Cailhavel, Boussenac, Magrens, Labruguière, Arse, and after his marriage of Rogles, Angravier and Saint - Cross, took part to Assemblies of the nobility of 1789, lived on his earths and died October 28, 1794. He had married etc. July 21, 1760, Anne-Josèphe of Montfaucon of Rogles, daughter of Jean-Baptiste, Lord of Rogles, knight of Saint-Louis, and of Antoinette de Raymond Lasbordes.
His wife, who only died January 15, 1815, remained, during all the revolutionary period, to Rogles where his husband was buried but, during this time, revolutionaries robbed Baraigne and burned a big part of archives. We stop here the genealogy of this famous family, that is perpetuated himself until today. (4)
(1) Doctor Charles Boyer - Archaeological Excursion in the Piège Baraigne 1933.
(2) MB Marty-Jeanjean - Vilatges Al Pais in the Piège - General Council of The Aude 1997.
(3) Aude archives B. 1882
(4) J. Ramière of Fortanier, op. cit, p. 125, give some interesting information on Lords of. Baraigne. We believe useful to extract the main thing of it.
To Baraigne they had a castle with 14 arpentses of earths nobles and a windmill with garden. The direct lordship possessed in whole; brought back them 22 setierses 8 quartièreses 1 lieural 3 strokes of wheat. measure to cardboard, 5 pounds 3 soils 9 deniers and 3/4 of geline. Every inhabitant owed to them, for right of fouquier, a geline and 5 eggs; every inhabitant owed one day of courroc, more 7 quartièreses of oat if he plowed with oxs, and half only if he plowed with horses. To Cailhavel they had 36 noble possession seteréeses, in which had ' existed an old castle; the whole direct lordship brought back them 3 setierses 3 quartèreses 1 lieural wheat, 5 setierses 3 quartièreses 2 lieuralses 1 stroke of oat, 1 pound 10 soils, 3 deniers, 6 gelineses 3/4. The right of fouquier only went up to a geline and rights of courroc to sivadieu to 1 work day and 2 quartièreses of oat, indistinctly
||© SD 2013 with Dreamweaver CS6